During the last couple of years many friends and people I do not yet know have told me to beware the slippery slope. They have in no uncertain terms let me know that if I start questioning the tradition bound given truths of the church that I would eventually loose my faith.
Today having wandered, slid, fallen, tumbled, run, surfed down this slippery slope I can say that it was all true.
Here are some of the things they told me about the slippery slope:
– You will loose your faith in the bible as absolute truth and authority
– You will loose your high view of Jesus
– You will loose your confidence in the church
– You will open your self up to the influence of other religions
– You will no longer be able to pray like you used to
– You will no longer be a christian
It is all true!
However what they didn’t tell me, and what I found was this:
– I have found a new and deeper love for the scriptures
– I have a new understanding of Jesus that is refreshing, renewing and transformative
– I have a newfound respect and love for authentic spiritual community
– I have found the light of truth and transformation in the most unlikely places
– I have found a new urgency, understanding and love for prayer
– I may no longer be a christian according certain criteria, but I have never followed Christ more closely.
on top of this I have also found:
– A sense of belonging and connectedness
– immense peace
– unparalleled freedom
– unconditional love
– scandalous grace
– deep joy
I have also found a love for myself and my neighbour I did not think possible. All in all, while the warnings of the slope have proven true the rewards have been literally out of this world!